Thursday, May 24, 2012

Bun Days

What did I do with my day? Eat, eat, then eat some more. 

Breakfast - banh cuon with a side of banh cong
Coffee - Sorrento milk coffee
Lunch - bun cha
Snack - che Campuchia
Dinner - bun thit nuong

Breakfast was taken a bit later than usual today because I was video chatting with mother dear and my uncle was stuck on Sudoku. 



We went for banh cuon. It was pretty good but I was more tied to the banh cong. It was really crispy, haha. 

At Cafe Sorrento, my cousin and I met a lady who coincidently takes her breakfast in our neighborhood every morning, so we made plans to meet up with her soon for some Cambodian food. 

Speaking of which, whyyy me?! I was lounging around when my aunt asked if I wanted to take a stroll through the neighborhood market. Of course I was game since nobody was home. I saw a sign for che Campuchia (Cambodian dessert soup) and was curious as to how it measured up to its Vietnamese counterpart. Someday, I tell ya, curiosity will have the best of me, not that I haven't experienced that before. 


The yellow things looked like jackfruit but turned out to be something else entirely. I don't even know what. There was a slice of squash with an egg custard center. The only thing I knew in the che was the green jelly. Overall, I thought the che was really odd. 
Every aspect of the che looked normal but once I poured it out of the little baggy, I sensed a familiar smell. What do you know
Durian.
The worst part is that I had to eat all of it while looking as though I was really enjoying it. No such thing as wasting food here. Just. My. Luck. 

Much fun and good food was had at dinner. My uncle and I stopped by his cousin, Bac Xuan's sewing shop. He had joked that we were hungry but had both forgotten cash at home, so she insisted we all just go out for dinner, which we did! We joked about Bac Ky cons (younger generations) the whole time, even though my dad's side is from Northern Viet Nam (Southerners like to mock Northerners' accents). 


Bun thit nuong. 

Going to eat with nice aunts means that she'll keep on placing food in your dish no matter how often you reiterate that you'll grab food as you please. To top it all off, aunts don't like to waste food. At times like these, yeah, I really wish I had more than just one stomach. 






No comments:

Post a Comment