Monday, July 2, 2012

The Usuals.

It's been all too quiet on this blogging front. Yes, yes, I know...

Lately, most days are spent lazing away. Eat, sleep, repeat. Oftentimes, when I am not traveling, I feel as though this summer is just like any other, except I am residing on another continent. 

I have been filling the gaps between main meals with street food. There are so many options here (mostly savory), that it's ever-so difficult to make a decision as to what to eat. Lately, my usuals have been fried sweet potato wedges, xoi bap (sticky rice with corn, sugar, and fried onion slivers), and nuoc sam (tonic). 

Fried sweet potato wedges:

I've tried a couple different stalls and so far, the lady on a Ba Hat Street alley (by the Lawyer's office with the navy signage) does it best. Although there is usually a bit of a wait - the fact that she fries it according to orders really makes the fries hot and crispy. Also, the potatoes she uses are actually sweet. She does not, however, take orders over the phone, nor does she deliver. In this day in age, that is very much a set-back for her business. Luckily, she is stationed only a couple blocks from my house. My growing impatience and laziness does mean that I refuse to walk such a distance for fries. Hahah, do I sound like a stuck-up fat kid or what?!?

Xoi (sticky rice) bap (corn):
I had heard of some UH-MAZING xoi bap from across the grapevine. My cousin and aunt were raving about it. The problem was that the xoi bap lady could only be found once in a blue moon. Fear not, the people of Saigon! I hold, in my phone contacts list, the holy grail! (We figured out her daily location schedule anyway. Yes, we stalk food vendors, but not just any. Only the great ones of course.) I usually don't even touch xoi bap but heck, I ate a whole lotta xoi bap last night and am still craving for more. 

Nuoc sam:
There are tonic vendors on every damn street corner of this city, but of course, my lady makes it best. Hahah. Located right off the seven streets intersection, we usually just drive up onto the sidewalk and stop in front of her cart for some refreshing (and I use this term only because she keeps the tonic really chilled) nuoc sam. Mind you, we don't even need to get off our scooter! 
The water in Viet Nam tastes off to me for some reason. It just doesn't taste like...water. So it's always two tall glasses of tonic and two bottles for home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment