Friday, April 6, 2012

MiniSeries: San Jose Bakeries & Cafes

With San Jose being the third-largest city in the U.S., it's often difficult to garner the small-town feel. Certainly, that doesn't mean that San Jose doesn't have a charm of its own. I've lived in San Jose my whole life, aside from moving away for university. I used to think that San Jose didn't have much to offer in terms of great food, but little ol' me has come a long way since. Granted it has taken quite a while for me to come upon these places, they're places I really miss when I'm away. So here goes!

Sweet Tooth. 

Peter's Bakery is the one and only place I'll go for burnt almond cake. My dad used to work at Reed's Sport Shop down the street, and so every special occasion was not without a burnt almond cake. I must admit, I hated it. As a kid, I just wanted a normal cake, that being one without nuts. These days when I walk into Peter's, I usually get a slice of burnt almond cake, a cream horn, a custard eclair, and some fruitcake squares. Once in a while, I'll opt for two slices of burnt almond because I'm craving it so much. Writing about it isn't doing me any good either. 

Margaret's French Bakery. For my parents' anniversary a few years back, I ordered an orange almond cake from Margaret's. It was, by far, the best decision pertaining to cake that I've made in my entire life. My mom still asks about it when a special occasion comes up. 
Margaret's operates out of an industrial space, so you can't just swing by to pick something up. They do, however, sell at many different farmers' markets throughout the Bay Area. They're a permanent feature at the Campbell Farmers' Market as well as the Mountain View Farmers' Market. 

Cafes.

Caffe Frascati. In the heart of Downtown sits an old-school cafe, the type you don't come across often in San Jose. Formerly known as Caffe Trieste (of San Francisco), Caffe Frascati boasts the best cappuccino outside of Rome. There's a lounge upstairs from which you can watch live music performances on certain days of the week. Caffe Frascati is a great place to stop in for a cup of joe, Italian pastries, and paninis while you're out and about during South First Fridays. 

Hannah. Three words: chai tea latte. So good that I often crave for it. I usually go to Hannah to study because it's quiet. The main attraction here really are the pastries, as Hannah (herself) is a pastry chef. Often people leave with that guilty smirk on their faces because while they came in for one cupcake, they left with two or even three!


Roy's Station. This place has long been an institution in Japantown. A neighborhood cafe, baristas know you by name and perhaps even your usual order if you come by enough. Roy's has a long list of teas from which to choose. They will ask if you want to save your tea leaves for another steeping. Especially in the summer, I like to come here to basque in the sun while enjoying my morning/afternoon coffee. Don't forget the almond croissant to go with! Heated and all!
Photos courtesy of HappySnapshots




No comments:

Post a Comment