Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Banh Xeo

I honestly can't remember the last time I had banh xeo (Viet Namese pancake). In the states, I'm usually not a fan because the crisp is lost to the thickness of the pancake. No worries, a trip to Viet Nam will fix that. 

Wok-sized banh xeo were the main attraction on a busy street side. Behemoths! I never knew they came this big! Holy smokes! If you've ever eaten banh xeo, do you ever find yourself just picking at the soggy parts after all the crispy areas have been consumed? Well, I do. The feeling is along the lines of..."Can I bring this back and refry it?" 
We also had banh khot (which was also thinner than usual) and some nem nuong. 
Rice cake overload

To close the night off, my cousins and I scootered around District 1 looking for refreshments. We ended up at a smoothie stand on the sidewalk. I ordered an avocado smoothie. I know...so vanilla of me, but all that rung in my mind from the list that the waiter had told us was durian smoothies. No thank you to that!
I can assure you that it's not just me who is repulsed by the mere thought of durian, although I did enjoy it as a kid. 

We were planning on going for sea snails tonight but I was stuffed. Yes, sometimes that happens. Another cousin called for a late-night snack. Is it possible to gain weight while in Viet Nam? We'll have to wait and see.  

Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment